Friday, September 9, 2005

Upcoming gig in Fulton County

Just a reminder to all my hordes of screaming fans: I'll be playing next Sunday, Sept. 18, at St. James Lutheran Church on North Main Street in Gloversville. The show will be the first in the church's Fall 2005 concert series. It will start at 3 p.m., and I'll probably play two sets of 40 minutes apiece. There will be some sort of meet-Smokin' Bill tea-and-biscuits reception afterward.

I've been thinking about certain songs I could play in the context of the Hurricane Katrina relief effort that's so prominent in the public eye right now. I have ruled out "Do You Know What it Means to Miss New Orleans?" even though I love that song. It won't do it because A) it has too many fancy jazz chords for me to learn in a week, and B) I'm sick of seeing Harry Connick Jr. et al perform it ad naseaum on TV. (Do I get a Scrabble bonus for using two Latinisms in one sentence?)

The tunes I am leaning toward adding to my repertoire in light of the disaster are "Biloxi," a simple but beautiful reflective song by Jesse Winchester, and "Deep Blue Sea," a traditional folk song about losing a loved one to drowning and hoping for his eventual return in the sweet by and by. Feel free to suggest others by posting a comment here or sending them to me at smokinbill@aol.com.

Also note I've made some small changes to my music Web site, Smokin' Bill's Digital Depot, including some new .mp3 files. Mostly I just made a few visual changes.

 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've read people requesting a lot of this song (First one on the page)

http://www.bad-seed.org/~cave/lyrics/katp.lyrics.html

Couldn't find a site with chords, so I don't know if it's easy to learn, and I haven't heard it, so I don't actually know if it's appropriate.  I do trust the people who suggested it to me, though.


Anonymous said...

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm afraid I'm not familiar with that one. Good imagery, though.