Thursday, September 22, 2005

Two New Recordings

This morning I recorded a couple of things. One is an original fiddle tune I named after Col. Elias Peissner, a German national who became a professor at Union College and a member of the Sigma Phi Society, which I joined about a century and a half later. He died at the head of the 119th New York Volunteers in the Battle of Chancellorsville.

Peissner's March to Glory (.mp3)

Elias Peissner

The other thing I managed to get recorded is a song I wrote last year. The melody is from an old song that Uncle Dave Macon and others have recorded. The lyrics, obviously, are autobiographical. Thanks to Sam Schneider for pointing out that I should explain what "The Line" is. Folks around here refer to the east-west rail/highway corridor that follows the Mohawk Valley as "The Line." So if you're headed from here toward Albany or Schenectady, you're going "down the line." I plan to dub a fiddle solo and maybe some other instrumental noodling to add some texture, but this is a raw take with just guitar and vocal. (Warning: this one is a 3.9MB download, so it will take several minutes via a dial-up connection.)

Workin' Down the Line (.mp3)  

Uncle Dave Macon

No comments: