Saturday, September 3, 2005

Ouch, that smarts!

I read with some amusement that rapper Kanye West went to town during a live telethon on NBC tonight. He ripped the government's response to the situation in New Orleans, and said "George Bush doesn't care about black people." You've got to love live television.

At any rate, one of the things he said that struck me as being unfounded was the last part of this remark:

"We already realized a lot of the people that could help are at war right now, fighting another way, and they've given them permission to go down and shoot us."

This made me scratch my head. I hadn't heard about any government troops being given permission to shoot anyone. I figured perhaps West was overblowing the National Guard's attempt to get the looting and general chaos under control. Then I stumbled upon this item on the Army Times Web site, which uses remarkably bellicose language to describe what's supposed to be a relief operation:

http://www.armytimes.com/story.php?f=1-292925-1077495.php

They describe the situation in the Big Easy as an "insurgency!" With relief like that, who needs hurricanes?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...


Thanks to Jen for pointing out I had misspelled Kanye West's first name in an earlier version of this post.

Anonymous said...

GOD,THAT IS FRIGHTENING!