Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Onward and Upward? Or Just Elsewhere?

Sunday was my last shift as an editor on the copy desk at The Daily Gazette. I'm officially unemployed -- for a week. On Monday, I'll start courses and my tutoring job at UAlbany. I've signed up for three courses (Faulkner, "The Literary Reputation," and a workshop in short fiction), which should provide enough intellectual labor to keep my brain smoking and popping for the length of the semester. 

I will have the summer off from school, though I will be teaching a section of Intro to Journalism. In the fall, I'll write my thesis, which I'm hoping will be a creative one -- in the form of a collection of short stories or a novella -- rather than a traditional academic research-and-analysis paper. People have been asking what it's going to be about, and I try to put it in a nutshell for them, but it simply won't fit. So sometime this semester, I'll write up a prospectus for the thesis, and I will of course paste a copy on this blog for my loyal readers to ponder.

Yesterday, Jen and I took the boys to the state museum in Albany. They had a great time on the carousel, though sitting in the spinning tea cup made me want to hurl. Here are a couple of shots:

 

No comments: