Monday, January 2, 2006

New Year's Decompression

Happy 2006, one and all. I'm ringing in the new year with some visual changes to the blog and to my Web site, Smokin' Bill's Digital Depot.

My end-of-the-year gigs went well, and I am grateful to all those stalwarts who turned out to show support and hear my wailings and frailings.

On Thursday, I had fun playing to a small audience at the Moon & River Cafe in Schenectady. I'll probably try to get back there sometime this summer, after I've wrapped up my Spring term academic work.

The First Night performance at The Drumm House was a blast. Noel Levee of the Johnstown Historical Society (my gracious hosts) told me after the gig that they had 188 visitors over the course of my three sets, which was more than twice the turnout last year. Noel and the gang took pains to set the place up for the show, and I can't thank them enough. My only complaint was that a tempermental furnace kept me off balance with constant background noise and sudden changes in temperature that made the instruments difficult to keep in tune. But I've performed in worse conditions ...

Stay tuned to this blog for some photos from First Night. My father took some sweet snapshots that I'll post shortly (thanks, Dad). I also managed to record the gig, so I'll be posting some .mp3s. I may have finally accumulated enough solid live material to put together a CD. More on that idea later. Here are three songs you can put on that new iPod that Santa left in your stocking this Chistmas:

Greenland Whale (a traditional Irish sea song)

France Blues (a country blues stomp, on mandolin and harmonica)

The Mayor Got Arrested (an original, relating a bit of local history and personal commentary) Lyrics Ackerbauer copyright 2003

More to come!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

One man's trash is another man's treasure I guess