Monday, June 27, 2005

Pining for a new hunk of spruce

 As my wife knows all too well, I've been anxious to buy a new mandolin for the last few months. I had my eye on a fairly cheap but apparently dependable Epiphone model, having given up trying to save the big bucks necessary for a top-shelf instrument.

  How much would you guess an instrument like a mandolin will sell for? The range is awe-inspiring. You can get ridiculous, slapped-together-in-China no-name models on eBay for $50, and on the other end of the spectrum there is this bad boy:

http://www.elderly.com/vintage/items/90U-4291.htm

 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ten things I'd rather spend $135,000 on...

10.  Prevost Motorcoach RV
9. Lesser RV with money left over for gas
8. All the homes on any given road in Bleeker, NY (although I admit the mandolin will appreciate more over time)
7. One week at Richard Branson's Nekkar Island in the BVI
6. Used Egg Harbor sport fisher
5. One season of box seats at Turner Field
4. Two seasons of box seats at Williams-Brice Stadium
3. Lifetime box seats and naming rights to Knox Field
2. (censored)
1. Full tuition to one of those snooty private law schools I was accepted to but couldn't afford