Wednesday, May 18, 2005

Woody Guthrie in Watercolor

Tonight I'm just throwing a few random things onto my blog that may or may not be of interest. The image above is a watercolor I painted a couple of weeks ago. It's based on a photo from the early 1930s of Woody Guthrie (center) with two other guys in a string band they called The Corncob Trio. They played around Oklahoma and the Texas Panhandle before Woody set out for California. I won't get into all the reasons why Woody is an idol of mine (like so many others before me), but I'm sure I'll have occasion to mention him again as this little blog adventure continues.

Did you know Woody was a professional sign painter? I'm by no means an accomplished artist, but one of the things I've learned from reading about Woody and listening to his recordings is "it ain't about being perfect."

No comments: