Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Heading to Okemah (in Spirit)

Well, there's a big Woody Guthrie festival this weekend in his home town of Okemah, Oklahoma. No, I won't be going. Instead I'll be hiking and camping with my sister and brother-in-law as they set out on the Northville-Lake Placid Trail. I will be represented at the festival, though, by a guy named Adam Miller. He was nice enough to send me the following message today:

Hi Bill, 
I was looking for a picture of Woody to put on an iron-on T-shirt I'm making for myself to wear at the Woody Guthrie Free Folk Festival in Okemah, Oklahoma this weekend and I saw your painting of the trio. Would you mind sending me a bigger version? I like the painting and hope you don't mind. I'll represent for us both in Woody's home town. 
 
See more about the festival at
http://www.woodyguthrie.com 
 
Thanks, 
Adam Miller
 

I'm flattered that he liked my painting enough to put it on a T-shirt, so of course I gave him the go-ahead to make one. (If I can find the time, I might offer T-shirts with that design for sale online. It could be a fund-raiser for a worthy charity such as the Put Bill Through Grad School Society. Stay tuned for details on that project.)

Anyway, my body will be trudging over the Adirondack Mountains this weekend, but my painting of The Corncob Trio (and my thoughts) will be in the hot, dusty plains of Oklahoma.

No comments: