Monday, December 5, 2005

A Holiday Ditty

With the Victorian Stroll gig coming up on Friday night, I've been trying to learn some Christmas songs in a hurry. Somehow I was struck by the notion to write my own. I love folk/blues tunes like this because they almost write themselves. Just throw a few couplets together with ironic references to other holiday songs and tales, add some vaguely suggestive images, and voila! (Or "viola!" if you prefer ...) Hopefully folks will find it mildly entertaining. Perhaps I'll record it so as to convey the full effect, such as it is.  

Christmas Rag
Lyrics by Bill Ackerbauer
December 2005
(Tune similar to Blind Willie McTell's "Georgia Rag")

Sing me a song about a Salty Dog,
And sit yourself down by the ol' yule log
We'll do that rag, do the Christmas Rag.

Down at the mall on santa's knee,
All the boys and the girls you see
Want to do that rag ...

The Christmas Goose will not get fat
If he don't stop shakin' his tail like that,
He's doin' the rag ...

The Ghosts of Christmas Future and Past
Are drinkin' egg nog and havin' a blast,
They're doing that rag ...

Mama said Papa, you move to slow
To catch me under that mistletoe,
You gotta do that rag ...

Mrs. Claus is mighty slick
Cuttin' a rug with old Saint Nick
They love to do that rag ...

In their workshop, Santa's elves
Put their toys up on the shelves
They want to do that rag ...

Santa says I do believe
I won't stop dancin' till New Year's Eve,
I'll do that rag ...

No comments: