Friday, October 13, 2006

A Literary Question

My fiction writing is progressing nicely this fall, but I've been wrestling with the question of whether to set my stories in real places or fictional ones. That is to say, should I use the real names for the places I'm writing about ( in and around Fulton County, N.Y.), or should I make up names to stand in for those actual places?

I've already made my decision, but I'm curious about one thing: Can you think of any cases in which an author has made up a name for a large city, instead of setting his tale in New York or London or Paris or Dublin, etc. I can't think of a single made-up metropolis, other than the Gotham of the DC comic books, and the otherworldly cities of fantasy and science fiction. If you can think of any such made up cities in realistic/naturalistic fiction, please let me know ... smokinbill@aol.com

No comments: