Sunday, July 31, 2005

Tea Bag Blues

Well, the gig at the Whistling Kettle has come and gone. I was disappointed at the small turnout, although the support of a few relatives and friends present made things bearable.

I'm still getting the hang of performing in public, and about three songs into the gig I realized I was uncomfortable because all the people seated in the place were to my right, and all the tables on my left were empty. I had to abruptly rearrange my microphones and wheel around slightly so I could look at the folks.

Perhaps the most confounding detail of the experience is that apparently nobody noticed my tip jar. Seems odd, considering I had it set up as illustrated in this photo. How could the gnome fail to get everyone's attention? Why, the following day at the Gloversville Farmers Market, my "spit backwards" tip jar attracted many a loose greenback... Surely a little play on words couldn't go over the heads of my hip Saratoga County audience at the Kettle. Are gnomes commonplace in tea lounges and coffeehouses these days? I blame the Travelocity commercials.

At any rate, I thank the folks at the Whistling Kettle for having me perform, and I hope to play there again and draw a larger crowd next time. They brew a mean passionfruit iced tea, take my word.

I did manage to record the gig, and a few of the songs might be worth posting on the old Web:

Here's one, an attempt to bluesify a cover of the Who song Squeezebox.

Here's another, a ragtime guitar instrumental I call Sister Kate's Fling.

And another, a cover of the Jesse Fuller song San Francisco Bay Blues. Enjoy.

 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Gnomes are not to be trusted.  I think your little friend made off with your gratuities.